The Society shall have members, the classes of which are designated below. The Society may issue certificates evidencing each membership. Membership shall not be transferable.
All applications and changes in membership status will be reviewed and approved by the Membership Committee (or subset of the Board of Directors). There are three categories of membership:
- The Active Membership shall be composed of surgeons or others who in the opinion of the Directors or its designated committee have a significant interest in the field of genitourinary reconstructive surgery.
- Criteria for admission of surgeons to Active Membership shall be demonstration of a significant interest in and commitment to genitourinary reconstructive surgery, which can be accomplished in one of two ways:
- Surgeons who are certified by an ABMS-approved board or its foreign equivalent shall submit a Membership Application, $150 application fee, a curriculum vitae, 1-year surgical case log of genitourinary reconstructive surgery, and 1 letter of recommendation from an active member of the Society. If the Applicant has completed a fellowship under a member of the Society, then proof of completion may be substituted for the letter of recommendation. If the Applicant is an active fellow under a member of the Society, then a 6-month surgical case log may be substituted for the 1-year surgical case log and proof of enrollment in the fellowship may be substituted for the letter of recommendation.
- Applicants who are not surgeons or who are surgeons but cannot meet the case log requirement may instead submit a Membership Application, $150 application fee, a curriculum vitae, a personal statement of their interest in genitourinary reconstructive surgery and membership in the Society, and 1 letter of recommendation from an active member of the Society.
- Only Active Members may vote on matters presented at the Annual Meeting of Members of the Society.
- To the extent not inconsistent with these Bylaws, the Directors or its designated committee may waive, alter, amend, modify or restate these criteria for membership in whole or part and from time to time, if it determines the same to be in the best interests of the Society.
- All Active Members will be assessed yearly membership dues and may attend membership meetings, vote, and hold office or serve on committees of the Society.
- Membership Dues are based on the World Bank Classification.
Annual Dues Rate Structure:
Category A: $150
Category B: $75
Category C: $50
- Active Members in good standing, who are retired from active practice, or are permanently disabled, are eligible for Senior Membership.
- An Active Member in good standing who wishes to be transferred to Senior Membership shall make written application to the Secretary-Treasurer (Chair of the Membership Committee).
- Applications for transfer from Active to Senior Membership shall be accepted if approved by the Membership Committee.
- Senior Members are exempt from payment of dues and assessments. They may attend membership meetings, but may not vote, hold office, or serve on committees of the Society.
- Honorary Membership may be conferred upon an individual who, in the estimation of the Membership Committee, is worthy of such membership.
- Honorary Members are exempt from payment of dues and assessments. They may attend membership meetings, but may not vote, hold office or serve on committees of the Society.
- Active Members who are incapacitated and to whom the payment of dues would be a hardship are eligible for application for Honorary Membership.
An Active Member in good standing who desires to be transferred to Honorary Membership shall make written application to the Membership Committee.